   NON-XML: IrishSpace On Web

  • From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:03:44 -0600

Normally I wouldn't break protocol by posting this to XML-DEV,
but since it is a unique piece for the Internet, some of the
elders of the Web are here, and since making the next generation
of 3D languages for the Web is an XML project, I think some
of the members might enjoy seeing the most ambitious of the
online work done with VRML.  When this was done two years
ago, it was impossible to put it on the Web at all.  But
it was built with the idea that things change fast on the
Internet and what was impossible two years ago, is just
doable today.  Consider that this is fully audio enabled,
animated in 3D, and runs over an hour.  It is only a hint
of what can be done.

To those that dream, to those that build, my sincere
thanks.  This is what we did with what you gave us.

len bullard
IrishSpace Project Coordinator

Hey, folks -

I've begun reshaping IrishSpace to be viewed on the Internet! I'd been
experimenting with streaming audio (Java only: no plugins or special
servers).

You can view it (if you've got a fast machine *AND* a pretty fast
Internet connection - faster than 28.8 definitely!) at:
        http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam/voyage/index.html
(The intro page tells you what the technical requirements are.)

For now, you can go right through from the beginning to the flybys of
Venus and Mercury.

I don't think I can get much more than that up on my ISP without paying
for more disk space. Is there a good fast server we can put it all on
over in Tralee? (I guess the whole thing will be somewhere between 10
and 15 meg.)

- Paul