   Re: How to ??

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:39:50 -0500 (EST)

Bill la Forge writes:

 > >If so, my reading is that those are deviations from the DOM
 > >Recommendation -- in other words, bugs.
 >

 > Frankly, I think the problem is more with the fact that they are
 > SAX-based.

Or more generally, the point that people constantly forget is that the
DOM is an interface, not a processor -- it provides a means for
representing the information that is made available to it, which may
or may not correspond in any obvious way with the information in the
original XML document (if there ever was an original XML document).

If SAX 1.0 made isSpecified information available, the DOM could model
it; since SAX 1.0 does not make that information available, the DOM
interface has nothing to pass on.  In other words, this is a
quality-of-implementation issue, not a conformance issue.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev