   Transformation tool for windows

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:03:06 -0500

At the suggestion of several people I am making generaly available a simple
tool that carries out batch transformations of XML files under windows 95,
98, or NT. Although stable, it is very much alpha ware and is still a 'work
in process'. I would be glad of any feed back from members of this list.

It was written for an undergraduate class and requires no more skill's to
run than than basic windows skill's but in spite of that it is quite
powerful and can easily handle documents up to 2M in size. (I havn't tested
it on anything larger)

This tool is exerpted from a larger editing tool which uses the MSXML
parser. However as the later is in flux and the MSXML dll has not been
released or liscensed for general use, I have split the transformation tool
off from the editing and DOM tool.

'TransformXML' allows the following proceeses to be automated.

	1. Creating a list of xml files for processing.
	2. Running a list of commands on each file.
	3. Transforming one xml nametag to another.

It has not yet been optimized for speed. for example on a middle of the road
platform it takes about 1 minute to convert an XML file marked up by Jon
Bosak into HTML. It took 20 minutes to transform the complete works of
Shakespeare from xml to xhtml.

Please go to www.hypermedic.com/style to down load the zip file (20K). Look
under transform XML.

It uses the VB5 dll's which are also available if needed.

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm