   Re: XML inside HTML question

  • From: Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
  • To: "Dan Rudman" <rudman@idetix.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:22:44 +1300

rudman@idetix.com said:
> Challenge:
>
> I have a tag-based scripting language to be used with web pages (HTML).  I
> want this scripting language to be XML-based, despite the fact that the XML
> tags will exist within the confines of the non-well-formed HTML.
>
> Is there a way to write a DTD that covers all of that in a way that lets me
> use an XML parser to get my stuff out and treat all the other stuff that's
> not mine (HTML, text, other people's XML tags, etc.) as CDATA, or something
> similar?
>
> This would be great... then I could assume XML to deal with my own scripting
> language but I examine everything else in the context of simple CDATA rather
> than trying to parse it out as a full-blown tag tree.

I'm doing this using CDATA as an interim step in development (the system is
live).  I'm looking at moving to having some tags which my XML app is
interested in exposed, and the rest character-entity-encoded.  To recover my
original HTML I'd need to do a single round of entity decoding on all entities
outside of tags.  I'm a bit concerned though that this strategy will not be
well supported by stylesheet languages.  Perhaps I need to use lots of small
CDATA sections.  I'm still investigating

Andrew McNaughton

--
Andrew McNaughton

(un)subscribe xml-dev