   Re: SAX2 RFD: LexicalHandler draft v.1.1

  • From: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:15:55 -0700

> >Do we really need to know about CDATA sections
>
> Debatable perhaps, but supported by the DOM. (Anyone know why?)
> But I'd really like to see better SAX/DOM integration, so Yes!

Heartily agreed.  No particular XML authority (certainly not the DOM WG group)
seems to give the time of day to anyone who wants a fully standardized path
through

XML File -> DOM (including transformations) -> XML File

And the DOM WG might be right to sniff that I/O considerations are not in
their charter, but that does no good to those of us who are trying to use
XML/DOM on the server side in environments heterogenous w.r.t. language,
platform, network interface, etc.

Something that would help us greatly, even though it is likely an unfair
burden on the thankfully open SAX development process (senatus rei publicae,
plebis onerum), is event-based support for most aspects of the DOM.

For instance, one cannot construct the DOM DocumentType of a ducument parsed
in with SAX 1 because that standard has no events to support the public and
syatem IDs of the external DTD subset.  Another example is the ability to set
isSpecified for Attributes properly, though this is not as crucial.

I've been terribly busy lately, but glancing at the various drafts of SAX 2,
I'm pretty happy that it will serve my DOM I/O needs, and I hope to go over a
complete SAX 2 spec more thoroughly to see if I can suggest any areas of
increased DOM-friendliness.

> >and the XML declaration?
>
> I think this could be helpful when updating a document, the encoding
> in particular. (An update should make the minimum necessary changes.)

Is it better to just use the processing instruction event?  I know it would be
nice to specialize the PI parameters, but do we then extend this to other PIs
that come out of the XML spectrum, such as style-sheet specifiers?

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants

(un)subscribe xml-dev