   RE: SAX2 RFD: LexicalHandler draft v.1.1

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:35:11 -0000

Title: RE: SAX2 RFD: LexicalHandler draft v.1.1

> >Do we really need to know about CDATA sections
>

> Debatable perhaps, but supported by the DOM. (Anyone know why?)
> But I'd really like to see better SAX/DOM integration, so Yes!

It seems we are trying to provide two views of a document, the reader's view and the writer's view. The reader's view needs to present roughly what's in SAX1. The writer's view arguably should preserve all the arbitrary choices made by the document author, including whether to use CDATA or entity references or character references, where to put the line breaks, whether to use empty element syntax, where to put optional spaces, what kind of quotes to use round attributes, etc, etc. If we are retaining any of this for the benefit of people who want to edit the document, then logically we should retain all of it.

Mike Kay