   RE: SQL queries expressed in XML

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:09:32 -0000

Title: RE: SQL queries expressed in XML

> we recently had the idea to use XML to express SQL-like
> queries (so this is
> not about querying XML -- it is about using XML to express
> queries). It
> seems to me that we might not be the first ones; so has
> anybody defined an
> XML document type for expressing SQL queries?

I've thought about the question and some of my thoughts are implemented in SAXON's SQLStyleSheet, which is the beginnings of an XSL extension to allow a stylesheet to update an RDBMS with data from an XML source document.

As always in this area the first problem is deciding how much of the syntax should be "angle brackets" and how much should be rules for the content of elements/attributes. The answer to that depends on tradeoffs between different modes of use. So the question is, who is going to use it, and what for?

In particular if you are interested in queries, what are you planning to do with the results? Print them out, merge them into the DOM representation of the document, or what?

Mike Kay