   RE: SQL queries expressed in XML

  • From: "Julian Reschke" <reschke@medicaldataservice.de>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:45:36 +0100

Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com> wrote:

>> we recently had the idea to use XML to express SQL-like
>> queries (so this is
>> not about querying XML -- it is about using XML to express
>> queries). It
>> seems to me that we might not be the first ones; so has
>> anybody defined an
>> XML document type for expressing SQL queries?
>>
>I've thought about the question and some of my thoughts are implemented in
>SAXON's SQLStyleSheet, which is the beginnings of an XSL extension to allow
>a stylesheet to update an RDBMS with data from an XML source document.
>
>As always in this area the first problem is deciding how much of the syntax
>should be "angle brackets" and how much should be rules for the content of
>elements/attributes. The answer to that depends on tradeoffs between
>different modes of use. So the question is, who is going to use it, and
what
>for?
>
>In particular if you are interested in queries, what are you planning to do
>with the results? Print them out, merge them into the DOM representation of
>the document, or what?

I don't think that this is really relevant, because one might want to talk
to a storage which doesn't even do anything XML related. However, to answer
the question, I would expect to get the results either in a DOM or in an XML
string.

--
Julian Reschke
MedicalData Service GmbH (http://www.medicaldataservice.de)