   Re: XML and (K)Office

  • From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:20:40 -0500

> For those of you who don't know, the current incarnation of the
> emacs/vi or sh/csh religious battle (or perhaps SGML/XML) in the Linux
> world is KDE vs. Gnome as the desktop manager.  I'm in the Gnome camp,

  No KDE/Gnome war here, please, however I'm one of the Gnome developpers.

> so it is with mixed feelings that I draw attention to the fact that
> KOffice for KDE (see article [2]) uses XML-based save formats for
> *all* of its applications (word processor, spreadsheet, formula
> designer, presentation manager, etc. etc.).

  A large number of Gnome apps are also using XML or moving to XML formats.
A very good example is glade, the GTK application builder, which saves
it state as an XML file.

> To be fair, the main Gnome spreadsheet also uses a (no doubt
> incompatible) XML-based save format.

  Yep, Gnumeric uses XML (actually gzipped XML on disk) and uses namespaces.
I'm pretty sure it's incompatible, since when I coded the XML export I didn't
know that KDE would do alike. There is a virtual cookie reward to the first
sending me a good example of KDE spreadsheet XML file :-) . A clean DTD
would be even better.

Daniel

--
	    [Yes, I have moved back to France !]