   Architectures capability question - attribute values to element GI?

  • From: Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:24:25 -0800

Is it possible to use Architectures to map an attribute value to an
element GI in the target architecture (that is, to 'dynamically specify'
the architectural form)? This desire is in reverse to the common example
usage of the 'renamer-att' architecture support attribute. I have seen
this idea kicked around in various discussions, but cannot find any
documentation or examples to back up the claim that it's possible.
  The desired transformation would be from

<!-- original document instance fragment -->
<thing type="foo">bar</thing>
<thing type="baz">gorp</thing>

<!-- fragment after architectural processing -->
<foo>bar</foo>
<baz>gorp</baz>

Is this really a job for something like DSSSL or XSL? I'd like to find
the limits of what Architectures can do. Please advise.

Steven E. Harris
Software Engineer
PRIMUS

(un)subscribe xml-dev