Lists Home |
Date Index |
- From: David Megginson <email@example.com>
- To: "XML Developers' List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:31:11 -0500 (EST)
To all those kind people who pointed out my alleged misspelling of
1. I've never been a competent speller (I was warned as an
undergraduate that if I studied Medieval or Renaissance English
with the original orthography I'd never be able to spell Modern
2. I plan to claim that I was using a sixteenth-century spelling. I
haven't actually found such a spelling used in the sixteenth
century -- the earliest recorded usage of the word is from
Brathwait in 1631, and he is already using the nouveau
'pedantically' spelling -- but I'll keep looking.
3. As Donne wrote (cited in the OED), "Busie old foole, unruly
sunne, ... Sawcy pedantique wretch, goe chide Late schooleboyes"
(see what I mean about spelling?).
All the best,
David Megginson email@example.com
xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To (un)subscribe, mailto:email@example.com the following message;
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org the following message;
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:email@example.com)