   Re: ModSAX: Proposed Core Properties

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 25 Mar 1999 19:29:49 +0100

* Ronald Bourret

| What is the possible benefit of making any property write-only?
| That is, can any harm ever come from reading a property?

* David Megginson

| There are three benefits:
|
| 1. Keep the API absolutely as small as possible.
| 2. Avoid confusion.
| 3. Allow properties to be unknown until set.

These are all real benefits, but the disadvantage is rather large I'm
afraid: it makes assembling a processing solution from reusable
components much more difficult, since one component can't learn how
the others have modified the parser settings.

I think we should make all properties readable, which means we split
them into read-write/read-only properties. This should maintain
benefits 1 and 2 even better than the write-only/read-only split,
since most people probably expect read-write/read-only properties like
e.g CORBA attributes.

I also think we should go even further and make all features readable,
so that a filter can see if a feature has been enabled or not. Without
knowing the exact set of features I think disabling reading is
potentially very limiting.

| Any attempt to access a property can generate a
| SAXNotSupportedException (or the derived SAXNotRecognizedException),
| but there is no guarantee that they will be symmetrical.

Maybe we should have a SAXInvalidValueException too, so that the
parser/filters can reject invalid values without risking
misinterpretation on the part of applications/filters?

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)