   RE: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

  • From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:54:03 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, DuCharme, Robert wrote:

> >I know, I know, this is anathema to what many of you feel is the
> >essence of XML, and I agree to a point.
>
> It's not so much about feelings, as about contradicting the XML spec.

Quite so. But there are still initiatives such as

	http://www.wapforum.org/docs/technical.htm
	http://www.wapforum.org/docs/technical1.1/WBXML-03-Feb-1999.pdf

which attempts to define a 'compact binary representation of XML'.
(If going down that route, I'd rather have a compact binary
representation of whatever it was that I'm representing in XML, rather
than of the XML that I might've used as a textual representation of the
data... But then that really wouldn't be XML.)

Dan

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)