   Re: SAX2 RFD: LexicalHandler draft v.1.1

  • From: "Bill la Forge" <b.laforge@jxml.com>
  • To: "Lars Marius Garshol" <larsga@ifi.uio.no>, "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:08:05 -0500

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
>| Frankly, I would love to see the design process for MDSAX2 as open
>| as SAX.
>
>Then let's start it here once SAX2 is out the door.  For me, that
>means when I've released the Python version of SAX2.  If SAX2 doesn't
>provide all I want with regard to filters I'll be very interested in
>working on a design that does, for implementation in Python.

After April would be best for me. Till then I'm pretty tied up.

I see almost all of the MDSAX interfaces being replaced by SAX2.
And I assure you, I plan to drop the current requirement of having
a setParser method from MDSAX2--a bad design decision on
my part is what caused it, and that created quite a few problems
in turn.

Another problem was in the incompleteness of the AttributeList api.
Hard to make extensions to. And no way to add/update attributes
in a filter because of the incompleteness of the api. Typically you
check for the use of a known implementation and if it isn't being used,
replace the whole attribute list. And that really gets messy if you are
also trying to include extensions on the attributes!

One new problem for MDSAX being introduced by SAX2 is when
parser events are being routed between subfilters. These subfilters
may all need to be aware of application events, in contrast to a filter
stack where application events are handled by successive filters.

Bill

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)