   Re: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

  • From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
  • To: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:52:00 -0500

Leigh Dodds wrote:

> > Then imagine you can write or communicate the object to other
> > systems simply with IO
> > operations with no processing involved.  Then imagine that the IO
> > is async and very cheap and
> > that you are processing thousands of transactions per second,
> > most of which generate
> > fundamentally little processing steps.
>
> I just want to clarify my understanding of this thread: you're discussing
> a binary format which is analagous to the internal representation of an
> XML document (a DOM tree), and which can be stored, used and manipulated
> without revisiting the original XML text?
>
> Wouldn't a (undoubtedly naive) implementation of this be simply serialising
> the object graph to disk, or through an I/O stream? This is obviously easy
> in Java, and again is only obviously beneficial if the serialised object
> graph is more 'compact' (which I believe is at least partly behind your
> desire) than the original textual version?

Yes, that would acheive part of what I'm getting at, but not nearly enough.  You see I am
addressing several different performance problems with processing in Java at the same time so
the solution is a bit more holistic.

In concept, what I'm getting at is close to using a serialization of a DOM tree, however the
point is to avoid any transformations (even deserialization/serialization) when possible but
still have a DOM/SAX or even JGL like access to the tree.

sdw

> Just a brain check on my part ;)
>
> L.
>
> xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk