   Re: A Simple Thought

  • From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
  • To: ldodds@ingenta.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:32:34 -0500

Leigh Dodds wrote:

> Hmm, I guess with Java you'd use an in-memory buffer and a class
> to wrap that buffer so that your accesses to the data would appear
> to be ordinary method calls accessing member variables, but actually
> just altered/read data at byte offsets in the buffer?

Exactly!  The class interface would be SAX/DOM/JGL-like but operate on a very
efficient representation.  The realization that I had is that I typically build
very meta-data driven applications and systems and that I seldom have business
data models represented by actual classes (in C++, where I learned my lesson,
and Java).  Since the data is accessed via collection interfaces anyway, the
storage can be completely opaque and optimized.

> Originally though I thought you were talking about a 'standard'
> representation.
> Shouldn't you then be avoiding 'other optimizations...to make processing
> in-place in Java fast'? Otherwise you're targeting a particular
> implementation
> language?

Ahh, there's the trick.  I believe I have most of a design for an data structure
that is fast in memory yet is 'flat' and can have its chunks just written out or
read in at any point.  It builds on some very old ideas I came up with for a
language I designed.  When viewed as an interchange format, it may not be the
most optimal space wise (although it should be better than XML text) but trades
a small amount of space for nearly zero processing overhead.  There will
probably also be a procedure for 'compacting' an object for storage into a
database or sending over a slow link vs. the 'fast' format usable between
servers in a cluster.

I'll be implementing the rest of this shortly and we can have another round of
discussion.
I'd really like a reference to the one Java project doing something similar.

> I'm interested in this (at least in part) as I've been toying with an
> application idea which could potentially have a lot of (small) XML documents
> built into a complex in-memory object graph. I'm concerned about the size
> of the object graph (and managing interconnections amongst nodes) and its
> later storage (don't want to have to reparse every time the application
> starts).
> Serialisation was originally what I was considering.

This is exactly the kind of problem I'm thinking of.  Since most people use
class interfaces to get at the data anyway, there's no need to chew up all the
processing time manipulating it behind the scenes in expensive ways.

Unfortunately the simple, obvious, traditional ways of building things
(especially in C++ and Java) cause massive storms of activity in large
programs.  (Object creation, initialization, building links, indexing, etc.
etc.)

sdw

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)