   RE: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

  • From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "Anders W. Tell" <anderst@toolsmiths.se>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:52:16 -0500

Anders W. Tell wrote:
...in the case of DOM to DOM
> communication its possible to to much better than using XML text
> a content carrier.
>
> In this case the question arises, where is the protocol interface ?
> Is it an interface that accepts a arbitrary byte stream and
> transports opaque data
> to a receiver (A) or is it a an interface that accepts a DOM tree
> and sends it
> ot a receiver (B) ?

the protocol layer would be HTTP,SMTP etc. These protocols employ MIME. The
process of content negotiation might provide something like:

I'm not sure about what DOM to DOM communication means, the DOM doesn't
currently have any standard methods to even create XML documents, let alone
provide communications support. Most parsers accept an href. You could
propose a new protocol such as "x-xml:..." but better might be to request
your encoding type in the HTTP request Accept: header and then check the
response content-type.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

(un)subscribe xml-dev