   RE: SAX2: Proposed alternative DTD interface

  • From: Ronald Bourret <rbourret@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:42:42 +0100

David Megginson wrote:

> It's worthwhile, perhaps, to ask whether there will be many XML
> applications that
>
> a) require a small footprint;
> b) need DTD information; and
> c) can use the information in a streaming format.

Point (c) is the one that gets me.  All the DTD-based applications I can
think of eventually need a set of objects over the DTD because they are
either analyzing the DTD or continually checking against it.

The only exception I can think of to this is Simon's validation routine in
his layered parser, and he needs so much lexical information he's likely to
be unhappy with an event-based DTD parser anyway.  (A quick and dirty fix
would be to redefine validation to mean logical validation, not physical
validation.)

(By the way, can we change ContentParticle.isOmissible to isOptional?  I
had to think a bit before I realized what isOmissible meant.)

-- Ron Bourret

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)