   Re: half-baked parsers vs binary XML

  • From: Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:37:45 -0800

David Megginson wrote:

> No, you'll probably find that there's no speed difference at all (why
> would there be?).

There would be a little speed difference from not having to check for defaulted attributes.
The half-baked parser might also be able to directly point to the xml input without having to
copy it, i.e. use start-length pointers for the tags and attrs.  This would be more
cumbersome if there was less of a one to one correspondence between the raw xml and what you
got after expansion and defaulting.

> There will be a small size difference, but it will
> be less exciting than you think -- the code to detect the prologue and
> load the module will make up much of the difference.

Detecting the prologue and loading an alternate module takes a few lines of Java code.
Prologue processing, entity expansion  and attribute defaulting take up a little more than
that in the parsers that I've looked at.

> doing the
> well-formedness checks for legal characters can take up a lot of code,
> but you're supposed to do that anyway (I cheated with AElfred).

I'm not sure I understand. Could you elaborate on how you cheated :-?

Thanks,

Gabe Beged-Dov
www.jfinity.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev