   Re: A Line in the Declarative Syntax Sand(Was: XML complexity, namespace

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:41:40 -0500 (EST)

Rick Jelliffe writes:

[...]

 > but Dave seems to be  saying that the fact that two things (pointed to)
 > are the same is not "information". That seems an extraordinary claim.
 >
 > <eg>
 >     <owner id="j1">john</owner>
 >     <dog owner="j1">rover</dog>
 >     <dog owner="j1">rex</dog>
 > </eg>
 >
 > encodes more information than
 >
 > <eg>
 >     <dog owner="john">rover</dog>
 >     <dog owner="john">rex</dog>
 > </eg>

I don't think that I said that, though I certainly typed a lot.  What
I did say is that there's not a practical difference among the
different alternatives in XML and SGML for expressing this
information, and probably not enough to justify the parallel
maintenance of the two as discrete standards.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev