   Re: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

  • From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
  • To: roddey@us.ibm.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:14:51 -0500

roddey@us.ibm.com wrote:

> >Imagine that you have all the features of XML: structure, flexibility,
> common format for
> >interchange, but that you perform zero processing steps to import or
> export the 'document'
> >from a program.  (Actually, I'm thinking this would be done in chunks, but
> essentially very
> >few reads and writes.)
> >

> Actually, to be fair, there would be a somewhat non-trivial amount of bit
> fiddlin' to get it out of whatever canonical binary format you put it in,
> into the local byte order, floating point representation, byte boundary
> alignment, etc... Though hopefully that couldn't be any worse than parsing
> :-)

Not true, especially for Java....

If you read all my 'binary' related comments, I'm not talking about storing binary data (such
as IEEE doubles), but rather normal XML style text elements, attributes, and body in a
'binary' structure that gives container-like access and speed.  There might be some reason to
allow real binary data, but that's not really my priority.  You can flash convert real binary
to hex for instance very easily.

The byte order, etc. will be Java standard.  Shouldn't be too tough for C/C++, etc.

sdw

--
OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)