   Re: XML query language

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: XML List <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:16:10 -0600

Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:

> I don't follow. You yourself have said:
>
> >The IDL for an XML QL should be something like:
> >
> >NodeList XMLQuery( DOC doc, String query )
>
> Well, them, what other way is to return a list of XPointers then to store
> each in an "element"?

You don't need an element. You just need a nodelist. Look at the DOM's
brutally named "getElementsByTagName" method.

Also consider the XSL specification:

> A select pattern must match the production for SelectExpr; it returns
> the list of nodes that results from evaluating the SelectExpr with the
> current node as context; the nodes are in the list are in document order.

XPointer is interesting because it doesn't support either interpretation:
"The result of a spanning selection cannot generally be expressed as a
well-formed XML document, nor as a node or list of nodes from an element
tree."

--

If you are asking me what is the syntax for a nodelist then I'll say it
has no syntax. It is an abstraction like the record set returned by a

If you aren't moving data between processes then you shouldn't be forced
to encode it in XML (even a DOM). This is just a general principle that
applies here.

> This is assuming that you prefer the query engine to
> return a list of pointers as a result, which I don't. The one nice thing
> about this scheme is that you can add extra data per XPointer - a relevancy
> score, for example.

I'm not convinced that this is the domain of the query language, but even
if it is then you are asking for an annotated nodelist, not a DOM. If we
do decide to go ahead with annotated nodelists then we would have to add
that to the XML data model.

That still doesn't have anything to do with generating XML elements:
*unless the application wants to do so*.

> I stand corrected. I think you've phrased it perfectly above - the output
> should be defined in the terms of the XML data model.

And that model has a concept of nodelist -- this is the most appropriate
return value for query results.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)