   Re: XML query language and another OS/XML suggestion

  • From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@jtauber.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:02:41 +0800

> Wouldn't that be great? The UNIX pipe model has suffered from not having a
> standard structured format, as has the /proc file system. Not to mention
> what this could do to an OS like Plan9 where "everything is a file" and
> textual formats abound...

This is pretty much what I was suggesting a little while ago on this list
(in the same breath as überdocument). I'm still trying to find the time to
work a bit more on it. I certainly have a lot of ideas about it so if others
are interested in helping with implementation, I'd love them to drop me an
email. My idea involves a layer on top of the operating system that treats
the operating system as one big XML document (hence the phase "überdocument
shell" which I used at the time).

I'm thinking of calling it "Plan X" which both includes the mandatory "X"
for association with XML and suggests, via roman numeral, a continuation of
the thinking of Plan 9.

James

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest