   Attribute-Value Normalisation

  • From: "Michael Ewins" <mik@owl.co.uk>
  • To: "XML-DEV" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:14:05 +0100

Can someone help me or point me toward appropriate FAQ.

In the XML specification it says attribute values will be normalised. However,
the explanation isn't clear to me so I'll try to clear up my understanding
through an example.

<!ATTLIST   MYDOC   file   CDATA   #IMPLIED >

I have an element MYDOC and this has an attribute that references a filename
which is CDATA.

An example document might read

<MYDOC file="c:\temp\hello.txt"/>

Will this attribute be normalised if it contains any whitespace? For example,
"space   morepsace.txt" is a valid filename on Windows but I need to know if XML
will attempt to normalise the multiple whitespace to
"space morespace.txt" or something equally wrong.

Essentially my question is, if I have a valid filename (on Windows or Mac) that
I use as an attribute value in XML can I be sure the parser will pass this on
unchanged?

thanks in advance for any help...

--
Michael Ewins