   RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

  • From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:44:13 -0500

Marcus Carr wrote:

<InBigFatLetters>I'm not
> suggesting that
> XML documents should be validated client side</InBigFatLetters>,
> I'm questioning
> the wisdom of looking at the DTD at all if you're not putting it
> to any use.
> Surely the overhead of looking at the DTD outweighs the benefit
> (none) obtained
> in rendering the above example?

	I also agree that browser validation is probably only helful to DTD writers
as opposed to end-users and have no problem with leaving it off by default.
The reason to parse the DTD is that enternal entities and default attributes
are something which are very well needed client side... if entities were
left unexpanded by default this would change the 'meaning' of the document
itself, something which end users might be interested in :-))

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest