   Re: XML Performance question

  • From: "Anders W. Tell" <anderst@toolsmiths.se>
  • To: "Lippmann, Jens" <LippmannJ@mmanet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 16:45:55 +0200

"Lippmann, Jens" wrote:

> Following the XML for the last couple month, I am surprised how little
> attention is paid to performance. My  optimistic personality leads me to the
> conclusion that performance is not an issue. :)

I think you have to look at different UseCase's, for some XML is perfect or sufficient
but for other you really should use something else.

I dont agree with your optimistic view that perfomance is not an issue :). My personal
view is that there a better solutions that XML for a number of important usescases
and yours is probably one of them. XML is very useful for text information but
often slow for data such as numbers. XML also handles many elements with long
tag-name poorly.

> However, I would be very interested on an expert's guess on the following
> problem:
>
> Assume the following XML document:
>
> <PORTFOLIO>
>    <ACCOUNT MANAGER="Joe Smith" ID="000001">
>       <AUDIT DATE="03/31/1999">
>          <SECURITYDESC>
>             <SECURITY>
>                <CUSIP>0815</CUSIP>
>                <PRICE CURRENCY="US">4289.23</PRICE>
>                <TRADEDSHARES>4289.23</TRADEDSHARES>
>             </SECURITY>
>          </SECURITYDESC>
>       </AUDIT>
>    </ACCOUNT>
> </PORTFOLIO>
>

> Each document will contain about 10^4 <SECURITY> elements each will contain
> between 10 - 10^2 child tags, and I have to handle about 10^2 documents a
> day, i.e. we're dealing with 10^7 to 10^8 tags. So far, the benchmarks I've
> got are pretty devastating.  I have to visit every sub-element
> of  <SECURITY> at least once during the number crunching and I cannot keep
> everything in memory. I am considering one of the XML repositories to help
> me with the job.

What do you want to do with your document ?

>From a brief look at your UseCase it looks like a relational DB should be better.

Another comment is, why not use the event API (SAX if you are using Java) instead
of putting the whole file in a DOM tree (in main memory) ?

/anders
--
/  Financial Toolsmiths AB  /

(un)subscribe xml-dev