   Re: IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376

  • From: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 14:34:24 +0900

>As far as making the relative priorities explicit. I hope there is no
>intention to supercede the XML encoding declaration as the normative way
>in which documents, not being wrapped by some higher protocol which
>treats the text at some more generic level, announce their character
>set.

As far as I know, no change is planned.

For a historical and unfortunate reason, determination of the charset
of WWW pages has become an extremely hard problem.  Since XML is not
only for human readable documents but also for programs and database
systems, failture to determine the charset leads to devastating results
such as corrupted database.

XML 1.0 and RFC 2376 do not provide a perfect solution, and I am not
quite happy (probabaly, nobody is completely happy).  However, after
loooong discussion, we have painfully learned that there are no alternatives
on which majoriy of HTTP/MIME/XML people would agree.  I sincerely hope that
people will follow these two specifications and that we will have better
interoperability.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)