   Re: problem with IE5

  • From: David Brownell <db@eng.sun.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 13:03:30 -0700

Looks to me like:

  (a)	IE5 uses a nonvalidating XML 1.0 parser (modulo bugs)
	for documents it tries to display;

  (b)	IE5 however REQUIRES conformance to the namespace spec,
	and thus rejects some well formed XML 1.0 documents,
	such as Richard's original;

  (c)	It also REQUIRES any "xmlns*" attributes found in a DTD
	to be #FIXED (which is good style) and so rejects documents
	which don't have #FIXED, yet conform to the namespace spec;

  (d)	It also REQUIRES a redundant declaration of such xmlns
	attributes on elements, even in cases where the XML 1.0
	specification requires the #FIXED default to be provided
	from the processor (and the namespace spec requires it
	to be used, effectively 'inherited');

  (e)	It has some other conformance issue, where the namespace
	declaration on just the "test" element doesn't work.  This
	might be related to the issue (d) above.

Chris -- is this basically accurate?

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)