   Re: recursion in XML parser

  • From: xml <xml@0000000.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:19:19 -0700

By XML-recommendations in non-validating mode are you talking about
the section on conformance in the XML spec (page 24)?

I assume not... where would I find this?

I can see that on a Pentium 300 you wouldn't notice the function call
overhead/stack framing for recursive processing.  Thanks.  My own
experience using the Java XML frameworks is that they are slow.  There
may be some that aren't.  I'm [for now] living under the assumption that
for a large dataset, Java will be slow because of all of the string
handling and internal pointer frenzy that the VM is handling for you.

Then again, it's entirely possible that for instance if you use the
new collection classes, that the underlying implementation is written
in C and there would be a limit to the performance tradeoffs.

One nice feature that using JDBC and related technologies for data
handling in Java is that Java itself doesn't have to manipulate the
[possibly large] datasets.  For a given XML "pure Java" implementation
of an XML parser it seems that there are going to be problems manipulating
datasets of epic proportions.

I noticed delays when processing the Richard II xml document [famous]
in Java frameworks.  That document is around 300kb of XML.

It's interesting to know that you've done both a recursive and non-
recursive XML parser.  Thanks for your response,

Thomas

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)