   Streaming XSL Stylesheets - Was: XML::Writer 0.1 available

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

Eric Prud'hommeaux writes:

 > I'd love to differ with you here. In practice, I can't, but in
 > theory... I have this itch to work out and implemnt an XSL parser that
 > works as as a SAX stream. Given an XslStream that reads the parsed
 > stylesheet from an XslDB and has an output SAX stream $this->{OUTPUT},
 > the notion is something like this:
 >
 > parser reads "<someTag attr1='value1'>"

In DSSSL, such a thing was not possible because there were
unpredicatable dependencies -- for example, you might find this near
the front of the document:

  <gloss id="x">...</gloss>

But you wouldn't know that you had to do something useful with it
until you found this near the end of the document:

  <annotation source="x">...</annotation>

In the general case, then, a stream-based DSSSL processor would
*still* have to cache the entire document, since it allowed arbitrary
navigation.  I don't know if the same applies to XSL -- I'll have to
give the spec a closer look.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/