   RE: DOM - Creating Documents

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: 'XML-DEV' <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:15:54 +0100

> Interesting if nothing else for the sheer variety of different ways of
> achieving the same thing! Note some of these allow you to select
> your parser first, others don't.

It certainly demonstrates the neatness of a well-defined interface,
as all that implementation specific complexity is hidden behind the
small signature of the build() method.

But that said, each of the listed methods presuppose the availability
of an existing document, correct? Whereas I was initially concerned
about the inability to generate a completely *new* document, but
it has been demonstrated to me that this involves some implementation
specific bootstrapping. And from the later discussions all I gather
the W3C *could* specify is some standard registry/property keys/values
that would feed into this bootstrapping mechanism. Would that
be a fair assessment of the situation?

Cheers,

L.

(un)subscribe xml-dev