   Re: One million new XML documents before May 31 (was Re: Short Essay:

  • From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
  • To: XML Developers' List <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 00:55:36 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, David Megginson wrote:

> David Megginson writes:
>
>  > Just so -- personally, I've had no need to use most of the stuff
>  > either (it's a classic 80/20 thing), and I've written ad-hoc RDF
>  > libraries that work just fine for my customers' real-world
>  > requirements, including one for WavePhore that's happily processing
>  > streaming RDF data records for over 2,000 newswire stories
>  > (probably more than that by now) every day at dozens of customer
>  > sites.
>
> I just found out that WavePhore's actually sending out 26,000 newswire
> stories every day now: that's 26,000 XMLNews-Meta (RDF) records *and*
> 26,000 XMLNews-Story (NITF) documents, for a total of 52,000 new XML
> documents every day, or over one million new XML documents every 20
> days.*  I don't know the numbers from others using XMLNews.

Cool! We should also not forget another relatively behind-the-scenes
XML/RDF application (even if the details are a little hokey). Netscape's
"What's Related" application is massively deployed on thousands of
desktops; when punters click on the whats-related widget in recent
copies of Navigator, it makes a simple HTTP query to their metadata
server which returns a chunk of XML-shaped text.

For example see http://www-rl.netscape.com/wtgn?www.xmlnews.org

The Netscape folks had plenty of stick on the RDF-DEV list for various
problems with the actual file format used (see notes at [1]) but looking
beyond that, it's still rather cool. Also next to invisible despite the
presumably vast amounts of XMLish data flowing between
www-rl.netscape.com and desktop browsers.

Dan

[1] http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/rdf-dev/files/wtgn-notes/

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest