   RDF Schema Question: adding new domains to a property?

  • From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 11:18:30 -0400

As a followup to my last question, where I had the Camera example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=“http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#”
                 <?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=“http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#”
                 xmlns:rdfs=“.../PR-rdf-schema-19990303#”>
      <rdfs:Class rdf:ID=“Camera”>
            <rdfs:subClassOf
                      rdf:resource=“...#Resource”/>
      </rdfs:Class>
      <rdfs:Class rdf:ID=“SLR”>
            <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource=“#Camera”/>
      </rdf:Class>
      <rdf:Property ID=“f-stop”>
            <rdfs:domain rdf:resource=“#Camera”/>
            <rdfs:domain rdf:resource=“#SLR”/>
            <rdfs:range rdf:resource=“...#Real”/>
      </rdf:Property>
</rdf:RDF>

Here I show (using the rdfs:domain definitions) f-stop as being usable
by Camera and SLR objects.  Suppose that I create a new Class (not a
subclass of Camera), and I wish to be able to use the f-stop property
with that new Class.  What do I need to do?  Add a new line to the
f-stop property definition?  In general, what advantage is there in
forcing a property to be used specifically with a Class?  When would you
ever want to do this?  It seems like there would not be many, if any,
cases where you would want to restrict where a property could be used.
/Roger

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)