   Re: XML-Conformant Programming Languages

  • From: adam moore <paxamr@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk>
  • To: Steve Oldmeadow <smo@jst.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:34:13 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Steve Oldmeadow wrote:

> > in Notepad.  She needs a tool to make organizing the constructs of the
> > language easy.
>
> One thing you missed in your summary was whether DTDs can support what you
> want to do.

Surely this is exactly what DTD's can do - 'organize the constructs of a
language' - and with a DTD and something like Xeena from IBM I think it's
possible now? (Xeena is an editor that uses a DTD to constrain the authors
into only writing valid syntax: http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xeena).

> As far as "Visual Programming" environments go (especially for "non
> programmers") I think it is invaluable to have the ability to step through
> the code and see what is happening which implies an IDE rather than a simple
> editor.

I agree - but to have a tool which ONLY LETS YOU WRITE VALID CODE IN THE
FIRST PLACE will surely be a big leap up from trying to debug code you
wrote in a standard editor and then try and find the typo's/missing
separators/line-breaks/etc.?

Just my tuppence h'penny worth  *8-)

Adam Moore
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences
School of Pharmaceutical Science, University of Nottingham
http://www.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/vsms/
Personal Page:http://www.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk/~paxamr/

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest