   Redirecting XML files?

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:36:41 -0700

A problem that comes up in running My.UserLand.Com is a sysop moving their
RSS file to another location or server.

We're allowing people other than the author of the file to do
registrations. I think this is important. If RSS catches on and there are
other registration servers, we will want *users* of the site to be able to
tell our server about a RSS file.

However, we want to enable webmasters to be able to move a file to a
different directory or server. In the real world, this happens often enough
that we want to have a general solution.

What I'd like to say is that the webmaster should change the old file to
"redirect" to the new file.

Something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<redirect>http://www.fool.com/directory/file.xml</redirect>

Then when we read the file we'd check for a redirect and update the
services table, which in turn would update services.xml automatically. This
uses the webmaster's security to assure that we're pointing to the right
place, gives them full control, and also allows users of the site to do the
registration.

Is there any provision in the XML specs for redirecting in this manner or a
similar one?

Dave Winer
UserLand Software

(un)subscribe xml-dev