   Re: XML-Dev: Getting the value of the xmlns attribute

  • From: nevansmu@fdgroup.co.uk (Neil Evans-Mudie)
  • To: "XML-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:19:58 +0100

Greetings Mark & all u other VBXML'ers,

PERSONAL INTRODUCTION - BIN IF NOT INTERESTED

boy i'm glad to have this mailing list  - i'm real excited that a specific
list has been set up for VB & XML. Anyway i'll just introduce myself, then
i'll go straight to the website 'projects area' and then contribute as much
as i can to the mailing list.

Hi, i'm Neil Evans-Mudie originally from the Isle Of Man now a resident of
Sheffield, England (as in Steel and cutlery!!). I work for a software house
called Fretwel-Downing Data Systems (http://www.fdgroup.co.uk). I'm
interested in using XML within, what we call, the Further Education market
To enable data exchange between our back office systems. I'm trying to do
this with VB, MSXML.DLL, MTS, MSMQ and SQL-Server using shape extensions to
ADO/SQL.

I come from a Geographical Info. Systems and VB background (I used to teach
GIS at Uni.). Anyway i'm pretty sporty and a generally jovial character (I
think).

So there u go - looking forward to participating in the VBXML community.

Neil.

> Hi James.
>
> Thanks for the promo... its all true!!  Except that I am not a kiwi, I am
from South Africa
> and my wife and I are work-travelling around the place.  This weekend we
move to Australia.

> Hi Neil
>
> Go to our wbsite at http://www.vbxml.com and sign up for the email
discussion lists.  Read
> the FAQ and so on.  It's definitely where you need to be.
>
> But more importantly, check out our projects area - the XSL Tester one is
excellent for you I
> think.  The code snippets in the Demo XML code area  - the XML engine for
call centers has
> MASSIVE amounts of DOM code.
>
> Good luck!
> Mark.
>

> > Neil
> >
> > > firstly let me apologise for intruding on your time but i wondered if
u may
> > No problem!
> >
> > > can't work out how to populate the DOM tree from a dao or ado
recordset -
> > > could u suggest a way.
> > No - I have never used ado etc. - I only use Allaire's Cold Fusion.  I
can recommend 2
> > resources - the book "XML-IE5" from Wrox (?27, ISBN 1-861001-57-6), and
the (very active)
> > user group VBXML at vbxml.com (run by a really keen and helpful NZer
called Mark Wilson
> > who is writing a book on VB and XML).  They have quite a lot of sample
code and are very
> > keen to help active members.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > James Carlyle
> >
> > > James,
> > >
> > > firstly let me apologise for intruding on your time but i wondered if
u may
> > > be able to help me. I noticed that this message invloved MS's DOM
> > > (presumably MSXML.dll) - i've been trying to use the dll with little
> > > success from vb (i'm a fairly novice vb'er and completely new to
XML). i
> > > can't work out how to populate the DOM tree from a dao or ado
recordset -
> > > could u suggest a way.
> > >
> > > Also once populated, how can i then add additional nodes and validate
the
> > > 'completed' tree against a DTD?
> > >
> > > Finally i'm going to export the xml as string to another application,
which
> > > i know i can create the xml string form the method DOMDocument.XML.
I'll
> > > pass this to message queue or other COM object, which the target can
then
> > > process in a predefined manner.
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate any pointers both general & specific which u could
give me -
> > > i've been on & off struggling with this for about 4 weeks and
unfortunately
> > > haven't receieved any guidance from general postings to any of the
xml or
> > > vb lists, or xml web sites i've found.
> > >
> > > Once again sorry to intrude on your private mailbox but, well, er,
um, if
> > > i've offended u please just bin the message!!
> > >
> > > TIA, best wishes,
> > >
> > > Neil.
> > >
> > > PS. it nice to see somebody else out there using MSXML.dll - that it
in
> > > itself gives me some belief.
> > >
> > > Neil Evans-Mudie
> > > Developer, fretwell-downing group Ltd.
> > > (nevansmu@fdgroup.co.uk; http://www.fdgroup.co.uk/)
> > > [Snail-Mail:
> > > fretwell-downing group Ltd,
> > > Brincliffe House, 861 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield, S11 7AE, England.
> > > Tel:   +44 (0)114 281 6000; Fax:   +44 (0)114 281 6001]

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)