   RE: Again wit da AND and Repetitions

  • From: Marc.McDonald@Design-Intelligence.com
  • To: Michael.Kay@icl.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:11:00 -0700

	> XML requires deterministic content models. This allows
	> validators to do their job without having to look more than one
element ahead
	> or do brute force tree searches.

The validator may not have to look more than 1 element ahead, but it does
need to look <n> elements behind or construct a tree representation for the
pattern due to optional elements:

<!ELEMENT x (a? | b?)>
<!ELEMENT a (c,d,e,f,g)>
<!ELEMENT b (c,d,e,f,h)>

With an input of elements c, d, e, f, h in element x.

Marc B McDonald
Principal Software Scientist
Design Intelligence, Inc
www.design-intelligence.com <http://www.design-intelligence.com>