   Re: XML-Data Reduced (XDR) [External Data Representation]

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:03:12 -0700

Andrew Layman wrote:

> "XML-Data Reduced" (XDR) refers to a trimmed and improved version of the
> XML-Data schema syntax.  The original XML-Data submission can be found at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-XML-data/ .   Information on XML-Data Reduced
> is at http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/XMLGuide/schema-overview.asp .

It'd be useful to use an acronym that's not already taken ... XDR has been
defined for several years now.  It's an IETF draft standard, in fact, and
is in widespread use throughout the Internet.

	ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1832.txt

Since Microsoft's proposal has substantial overlap with the original XDR in
terms of functionality (basic machine data types), I think it's clear that
confusion will be happening.

One way to reduce the confusion would be for Microsoft to put a reference
to that IETF document, and suggest that people use terminology such as
"Microsoft XDR" to disambiguate between the two.

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)