   RE: How to disable validation.

  • From: Ronald Bourret <rbourret@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:13:23 +0200

Paul Tchistopolksii wrote:

>  The only difference between A-documents and
>  B-documents is that A-documents have
>  <A1> element that is specific to company A
>  and B-documents have <B1> element specific
>  to company B - the rest of elements and
>  attributes are the same for both companies.
>
>  Now our companies decided to exchange
>  their documents. As a solution they may write
>  XSL stylesheets, or ( maybe) use entities
>  to remove A1 elemets and B1 elements.
>  I see no other ways to workaround this
>  situation and both are a bit complicated.
>
>  The problem here is to hide some part of
>  XML document from the validation process.

You could do write a single DTD with the following:

<!ELEMENT COMPANY_SPECIFIC ANY>

and then have each company define their company-specific elements in
company-specific DTDs, which would be included through the internal subset.
 This is open to abuse, though, as a valid document could contain any
elements, not just the intended, company-specific elements, in the
COMPANY_SPECIFIC element. However, if the documents are machine generated,
this is not a problem.  (By the way, EMPTY and ANY(THING) are valid only in
content model definitions, not attributes.)

-- Ron Bourret

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)