   re: question: where is the colon in processing instruction names

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "'XML-DEV'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:38:56 -0400 (EDT)

Arthur Rother writes:

 > In one of the XML-DEV posted messages it says, that colons
 > are not allowed in processing instruction names.

Colons are not allowed in PI names *for namespace processing*; they
certainly are allowed in XML 1.0.

 > The XML parser in IE5 does not allow colons in processing
 > names.

If it is meant to be XML 1.0 conformant, it should allow colons when
you are not performing namespace processing (though it's probably a
good idea not to use them anyway).

Others may correct me, but I don't think that a conformant processor
is allowed to reject well-formed XML (expect, perhaps, if the
processing is performing validation and the document is not valid).
Namespaces cannot change this, since XML 1.0 is an independent
standard.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/