   RE: Questioning XSL

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:58:25 -0400

At 09:53 AM 05/21/1999 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
> [Michael Kay's] suggesting that
>standardising on XSL actually becomes relatively *less* important as
>the scale of the project increases.  That might be a reasonable
>consequence of the suggestion that an increase in the quantity of
>documentation (of the same type) leads to an increase in the benefit
>of standardising on XML, but not on XSL.

Got lost in the syntax of that last sentence. Could you recast?

>p.s. I *loved* DSSSL, and will probably learn to love XSL once I get
>     around to learning it properly; I'm discussing the business
>     merits here, not the technical ones.

I came to the party, such as it is, too late to (want to) learn anything
about DSSSL. But XSL was a revelation to me, and I don't think of myself as
an unknowledgeable programmer. So yeah, I think you'll have fun with it.

Focusing on the business merits is good, as long as by "business" we
include the zillion firms (and individuals) who'd be much more clueless
(and unable to pay for cluefulness) about Real Programming than about XSLT.
I always understood (maybe wrongly) the analogy to be:
	SGML : XML :: DSSSL : XSL
Smaller scale buys much more widespread acceptance.
John E. Simpson            | The secret of eternal youth
simpson@polaris.net        | is arrested development.
http://www.flixml.org      |  -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest