   Regarding Strategy

  • From: "WorldNet" <csgallagher@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "XML Developer" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:19:07 -0500

Greetings...

I've just subscribed and I've found the ongoing thread interesting as it
pointed to GILS which I spent much of last night perusing thanks to the time
Zimmerman has put forth herein. Oddly, for such a widely adopted family of
techniques the articles seem to have died out sometime in late 1997. Does
this portend doom for GILS with respect to generalized acceptance in the
commercialized private sector?

My calls to prospective customers to design and host their web sites almost
always includes the prospect asking "what can the internet do for my
business locally". That being right before they say "no" and then hang up on
me ;-)

I'd like to take a shot at creating a regional site that will provide a
search & classification interface and would like some advice regarding the
wisdom of creating such a 'yellow pages' type of site when everybody seems
glued to what I perceive to be the fallacy of the 'search engines' and the
'domain name', both of which provide nominal value and little else when
considering the artificially high cost of ownership which in my opinion is
only getting worse.

I'd be interested in technique discussions in this regard, specifically
regarding my study of XML and its application for this type of site that I
am preparing to redesign for the umpteenth time. I've been planning to use
MS SQLServer and Allaire's Cold Fusion.

-- Regards
Clinton Gallagher
Chief Public Information Officer, MetroMilwaukee.com
TEL (414) 774-1562
FAX (414) 774-1562
NET cpio@metromilwaukee.com
URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com