   RE: XSL allows better automated program manipulation (Re: Questio ning X

  • From: "Buss, Jason A" <jabuss@cessna.textron.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:49:26 -0500

Well, other than CSS, can anything else handle the formatting aspects of
XML?

A lot of document authoring/management software companies are pushing the
"don't use SGML, it's too hard to implement.  Use XML." theory.  And this is
all well and good.  But we are not as hard-wired a society as many would
think.  Many (most, probably) companies still turn out hard copy
documentation for their users.  Many people (myself included) can look at an
online document, but will print it out to read it with any measure of
scrutiny.  If there is no formatting standard for XML, that leaves vendors
free to implement their own "styles", which could end up causing a person to
re-develop a stylesheet any time they want to try out/switch applications.

IMHO, XSL is a great idea, conceptually, and through the process of review
and comment, will eventually turn out to be one of the most widely accepted,
and useful, standards of the whole body of WDs written to support XML (that
is, if vendors follow through).

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)