   Re: a schema validator-generator

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 22:55:25 +1000

From: francis <francis@redrice.com>

>I think schema translation sounds like a good area - the application
>doesn't need to run too fast, and, as you say, you will really explore
>schemas and XSLT.

I think it would be a big win if significant parts of XSchema could be
implemented in XSLT: XSchema validation for free!

For example, if we could take an XSchema and generate
* a DTD for validatation of structures
* an XSL validator (along the lines of Francis' paper) for more fiddly
bits of structure

There has been some discussion of how on XML-DEV recently of how to
support
"&" operator, if it is introduced in XSchema. I should point out that
certain kinds
of content models using "&" are trivial to validate using XSL: in
particular
content models which use only [&,|()?] but not [*+] (These are, I think,
the
kinds of models that Francis' examples of DCD use:
http://www.redrice.com/ci/generatingXslValidators.html)

Rick Jelliffe

P.S. Anyone interested in other kinds of validation (i.e., not just
validating
element tree-structures) that are available using content-models
(*not* the DTD syntax, *not* the DTD syntax, *not* the DTD syntax),
I have made a simple introduction with a big fat diagram called
"Validate This! Content Models on Different Targets" at
    http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/OtherValid.html
Anyone interested in how this idea might be implemented, see
  "XML Notation Schemas"
http://www.ascc.net/~ricko/notation.htm

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest