   Re: DTDs

  • From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@jtauber.com>
  • To: "Mallikarjuna Sangappa" <malliks@rocketmail.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:10:22 +0800

>I would like to have examples on the following
>
>1. nested DTDs
>2. two DTDs used within a document
>3. nested DTDs used within a document
>
>Are the above scenarios possible? Thanks in advance.

A document has only one DTD. However, a DTD is principally just a set of
markup declarations. It is possible to take the markup declarations of two
DTDs and have a document use the union as a DTD. Note that you would have to
modify the content models in at least one of the original DTDs in order to
allow for elements from one DTD to include elements from the other.

This is made easy where content models are made extensible in the first
place via a parameter entity. You just override the parameter entity to
include the extra elements.

James

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest