   RE: Overloaded URIs must GO!

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 19:13:46 -0400

Hi Paul
Paul said:
It is now both legal and appropriate for us to propose the hname:
namespace which is defined to mirror the HTTP namespace (in terms of
ownership and uniqueness) but be a URN instead of a URL and thus
explicitly unretrievable. In the meantime, it seems that we can use an
experimental namespace: "x-hname" and take our chances that nobody
somewhere else on the Web will use the same name incompatibly.

Didier says:
We got a lot of dicussion on this subject in the IETF group and got at first
the suggestion to register all name spaces at IANA. Most of us thought that
this is however insuficient and a more formal registration mechanism would
be needed (This still an open issue).
If W3C needs a mechanism to resolve URNs this can be done through DNS And a
client able to resolve the right DNS record (as you know there is more than
just IP address records in DNS). W3C could maintain the DNS able to resolve
the name space you mentioned and a client would then need to use the right
DNS record to obtain the URL. The actual URN name resolution (Daniel
Laliberte worked on this) returns one or more URL so that now you can get
the needed document with one of the existing protocols.The good point here
is that the DNS server act also as a repository. The client would have to
connect to the W3C DNS server and for quality of function have a backup
server somewhere else. This would be superor to a single URL resolution (if
the server is down, Kaput :-)

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@netfolder.com