   Re: Paul has volunteered (was Re: Overloaded URIs must GO!)

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>, "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:45:54 -0700

At 02:05 PM 5/31/99 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>I'm talking specifically about the definition of HTTP URLs.
>
>"The HTTP URL scheme is used to designate Internet resources accessible
>using HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol)."
>
>(I guess from a formal logic perspective it should end with "and no
>others")

No, that's not a "formal logic" change, that's a huge basic semantic
change.  If the IETF had wanted to forbid people using these for
other purposes, they should say so.  Note that one of the co-editors
of the URI RFC is one T. Berners-Lee, who among other things signed
off on the namespace spec.

>If you use them to designate non-Internet resources NOT accessible by HTTP
>then I consider that an obvious abuse, even if the HTTP spec. isn't
>sufficiently anal to disallow the practice from a formal logic
>perspective.

Uh, namespace URIs do not designate resources.  The namespace spec
is crystal-clear on this.  They serve as names, that's all.

>Otherwise I could put http:// URLs on my website and say: "Oh, you were
>supposed to interpret those as gopher URLs. The URL spec. doesn't disallow
>that you know!"

That analogy is bogus - the semantic of a URL, when used in a web hyperlink,
is well-defined.  We are not specifying that the namespace URI be used as
anything but a string, for comparison purposes.  There is no convincing
evidence that this violates the letter or spirit of any standard
anywhere. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)