   Congrats and thanks to Paul (was: Reluctant-ly yrs, Paul)

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:22:06 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Prescod writes:

 > Rough draft. Comments appreciated. Note that getting a
 > number-identified URN namespace is easier and faster than getting a
 > name-identified one so that is the best first step.

My response after a very fast skim: it looks like a wonderful first
step -- the time qualification guarantees persistence, and the e-mail
address part guarantees uniqueness.  This is certainly user-friendly
and democratic (my parents, for example, can create their own
namespaces with it).

Personally, I can live with the number.  If anyone is annoyed by it,
Paul and I can volunteer them to work on getting a name.

On behalf of everyone, I'd like to congratulate and thank Paul for
going ahead with this.  In two weeks (I hope), we should actually be
able to use URNs for XML Namespaces, something we haven't in practice
been able to do up to now.

All the best,

David

p.s. When I have time to read at more leasure, I can develop some more
     useful comments.

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev