   Re: Status of XML-Data

  • From: francis <francis@redrice.com>
  • To: Oliver Becker <obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:56:30 +0100

Hi Oliver,

Oliver Becker wrote:
<snip/>
> Does any kind of (free) software exist which checks XML documents
> against XML-Data DTDs?
<snip/>

IE 5 includes support for validating XML documents against a subset of
XML-Data Schemas.

For the rest of us, I am right now writing a partial meta-validator for
xml Schema [1] in XSLT [2], along the lines I suggested in an earlier
note [3].

When run against an xml Schema schema, it generates an XSLT validator
for validating the structural content of an XML document against the
constraints of the original schema. (xml Schema also supports data
typing of individual elements but that will need RegExps in the XSLT
processor at the very least.)

I've switched from IE5 as my target XSLT processor to James Clark's XT
[4], which will actually run code snippets straight from the XSLT WD -
the benefit to us of making him the editor.

Incidentally the use of XSLT as a meta language to generate XSLT seems
to me to pass the Leventhal challenge [5], in that I doubt it could be
done as cleanly, compactly or effectively in, say, javaScript (though it
certainly *could* be done - javaScript's OO features are wonderfully
over-powered for use as a scripting language).

Thanks -

Francis.

[1] xml Schema - http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/
[2] XSL Transformations (XSLT) - http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xslt/
[3] generating XSL validators -
http://www.redrice.com/ci/generatingXslValidators.html
[4] James Clarks' XT - http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html
[5] the Leventhal challenge -
http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/05/xsl/xslconsidered_1.html

--
Francis Norton.

Air Rage - a "flight *and* fight" reaction?

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)