   Re: Announcement: SAX2 1999-06-01 alpha release for Java

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 02 Jun 1999 08:44:08 +0200

* David Megginson

| There is an alpha version of SAX2 for Java available for download
| from
|
|   http://www.megginson.com/SAX/SAX2/

I've now done a preliminary Python translation and done most of the
work on adding SAX2 features and properties to the xmlproc driver.
Overall I think this is looking very good.

Comments:

  - Should we have a CompleteHandlerBase in helpers which combines
    HandlerBase, DeclHandler, LexicalHandler and NamespaceHandler?

  - If one of the misc handlers are supported, must all the methods in
    it be supported? (For example, xmlproc currently won't support the
    CDATA callbacks in LexicalHandler.)

  - Should the *NamespaceDeclScope methods be called *NamespaceScope
    instead? It's a little less of a mouthful, at least.

  - Do we need to mandate a default value for namespace separator?
    Should it be space (&#32;)?

  - Can namespace properties be tuned when namespace processing is off?

  - Should we add a DTDParser interface? In some cases one will only
    want to parse the DTD and since we have DeclHandler and DTDHandler
    it makes sense to me to add an interface to a DTD parser. Maybe
    like so:

    public interface DTDParser extends Configurable {

      public void setDTDHandler(DTDHandler handler);

      // used for parameter entities
      public void setEntityResolver(EntityResolver resolver);

      public void setLocale(Locale locale) throws SAXException;

      public void setErrorHandler(ErrorHandler handler);

      public void parse(InputSource source) throws SAXException, IOException;

      public void parse(String systemId) throws SAXException, IOException;

    }

    // Maybe we should also do something here to enable locator
    // support? Have a special read-only property for the locator?
    // (Ugly, I know.)

    // Features: external-param-entities
    // Properties: dom-node?, xml-string, DeclHandler

  - Where did AttributeList2 go?

Also, I'll get back to the filter issue. Now I need to work on my
thesis.

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest